3.6.08

The skies cry...



...only when we can't.

Just doing some sporadic cleaning today, and somehow, like he knew I needed it...I found it. It was my final draft of my personal statement that I sent into UIC. It was about my friend, Max Zeman, and the day I went to his wake. In the hustle and bustle of things that have been going on in my life lately, when I picked up that draft, it all went away. Those two pieces of paper and all the words written on them made me remember that there was more to life than worrying about every little thing and every little detail. So here's a bit of insight onto part of what helped me get into UIC; disregarding the ACT scores, I think this pushed me over the top.

"Rummaging through my drawer, I came across a wrinkled and frayed tie, it's silken cloth worn over time...I thought back to the day when Max had given it to me to keep, a token of his kindness and a sign of support for my search to find myself. "Don't worry, I'm here to help," he said. His gentle smile and eyes filled with compassion for my plight showed that he was sincere."

"As I stepped into the funeral home, I saw many saddened yet familiar faces. I saw friends from school, and ones that I hadn't seen in years. Then, slowly turning to my left, there lay Max. I walked up to the coffin with the tie in hand, and as I kneeled down to pray, I cried. The tears were painful, and I could feel the pit in my stomach swell and grow as each one fell...I crossed myself with my right hand, kissed it, and touched Max's heart. It was cold and still, the warmth of his life and love long gone. I took the tie I had in my other hand, and gently placed it beside him. "Thanks for everything, buddy. I really am going to miss you. You can have this back now. I want you to look spiffy when you get up there." I smiled, and half expected him to smile back at the silly joke."

"Laughter replaced tears, and smiles replaced frowns. As we shared stories of old times that we all spent together, the hallway slowly began to fill up. Other people came in to look through the photos and to find a memory that they shared with Max. Looking around, it amazed me to see how many lives on person could affect. The fact that one heart could touch a hundred others made me appreciate the life I had.
Walking out of the funeral home, I was a changed person. In life, and in death, Max taught me so much more than I could have ever imagined. I learned to be compassionate for others, and to be kind at heart. I learned that simple actions could affect a person in the grandest ways. I learned to appreciate the people that blessed my life, because I would never be promised tomorrow with them. I also learned that life is a precious gift, not to be wasted but to be spent wisely. It is not what you have in life, but what you do with it that shows whether or not you have had a life worth living. From what I saw today, and from what I have known for years, Max lived a good life."

To this day, I still think about him sometimes, and I cry because I miss him so much. No one really realizes how important he was, and is, to me, and I don't think anyone ever really will. Max saved me, and I can't thank him enough for everything. I hope I'm making you proud, Max...

<3

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i remember that day... really pretty. your words, i mean. been awhile, huh?